Monday, January 28, 2013

Logan Days 1 -5

So Logan's first day went pretty well considering the circumstances.  He had lots of visitors, his Grandmother, Mimi, Pops, and Wade Grandparents.  As well as his Auntie Barin, Aunt Kinsey, & Michelle.  I was able to go down and see him, too, and he grabbed my finger.

Friday morning his doctor called us to give us an update.  He said that Logan could be removed from his CPAP and that he didn't need it.  Jesse and I also went down to see him and got to hold him, which was great.  We brought a book to read to him - Scottish rhymes we bought in Scotland this year.  Jesse was holding him and read in a Scottish accent.  Logan really liked this and kept opening his eyes and looking at Jesse.  He's so little and wrinkly and cute!  He was also visited by his Uncles Cooper and Carson.




Saturday morning I went down to take some milk and sing him a little good morning song.  My dad used to wake me up in the morning singing "Good Morning to you" to the tune of Happy Birthday, so I sang it to Logan that morning as well.  That morning he was put under the bililights because of jaundice.  He was so freaking cute just hanging out under the lights with his little sunglasses.  He looked like he was chilling at the beach.  The doctor was there so he gave me an update in person.  He said Logan was doing great and there was a good chance he would be able to go home in 3-4 weeks!  As I was coming back upstairs, Katherine was there to visit him, so we went back down to NICU to hang with Logan.  We got to watch a feeding and see his diaper being changed.  He pooped while the nurse changed him, and it made us laugh.  Jesse and I went back up to spend some quality time with him and got to do skin to skin contact.  Jesse also changed Logan's diaper on his own.  I have to confess, I was scared to do it because of how tiny he is.  He also has so many wires, I was worried about pulling them out.  Jesse did a great job, though!  He didn't liked being moved around too much at first and cried, but he calmed down as we talked and sang to him.  I was discharged that day, so we went home.  That was the first time I had seen our house since Monday, and it was like a whole new place!  We had started putting laminates in the two guest rooms and hallway the weekend before I went into labor.  Needless to say, they hadn't been finished.  Well, our wonderful parents got a crew in to finish the floors and threw in our bedroom as well.  They worked really hard to clean up our house and prepare it for the two of us.  After all, I have never had my chance to nest and get things cleaned up!




Sunday we started to recoup some sleep.  We went down to the hospital that afternoon and spent some time with our little man and his Floyd grandparents.  We got to change him again, I did most of it, but Jesse helped with holding his legs and such.  We also held him again, I did skin to skin.  He was still under the lights, but doing well.  The doctor said he was doing great, but had a few instances of apnea the night before.  If he had many more, they would give him a little caffeine.  But, while we were visiting, the nurse said that he hadn't had any for her, so that was great to hear!




This morning the doctor called Jesse instead of me, which led us to a mini-freak out.  We had been told the day before that they would only call Jesse if there was something wrong, but apparently that was not the case.  Thankfully she was only calling to say that he was doing well.  Right now Logan is being fed through an IV and feeding tube.  He is getting both breast milk and iv fluids.  They are starting to increase the breast milk and cut back on the iv.  Each day he will get more of one and less of the other, provided he continues to take them well.  In order for him to go home, his feeding goal is to have 8 feedings a day - bottle and breast.  Once at home, we will continue to wean him from the bottle so that he works his way up to all breast-feedings.  He was still under the billilights.  His jaundice hasn't gotten worse, but it's not really going away yet, either.  They're hoping that it will start to clear up soon.  I spent most of the day with him.  Grading some quizzes I had brought home the last weekend and reading him a book in French.  I changed his diaper on my own.  Jesse came by after work and got to spend some one-on-one time with him as I went to pump.  Jesse also changed Logan's diaper - he got a diaper full of poop whereas I had one just of pee.  Hehe!  We both spent some time holding him.  While he is under the lights, they only want him being held once a day, so we wait until we're both there so we can split the duty.




Well, these are Logan's first 5 days!  I'll post more updates as we have them!  Pictures are on our dropbox link, but I will post some here as well!  Thanks everyone for all of your well wishes.  We are very fortunate that Northside has such a great NICU and that there are so many great doctors and nurses.  Really, we can't say enough about how wonderful everyone has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment