Monday, January 28, 2013

Logan!

Ok, so no promises about being good with updating this, but Jesse and I figured finally posting on this blog could be a good way to update friends and family with Logan's growth and development.  We may not post every day, but definitely when there are changes we will add something, even a note.  But first we must start with the week of his birth...

As some of you know, the MLK (or inaugural) weekend, I had noticed a few odd things going on.  If you want the details, I'm more than happy to tell you in private.  Regardless, it was enough to have me in tears calling the midwife Sunday night.  She told me if I was having contractions that I needed to go to Labor & Delivery.  If not, to call first thing in the morning so they could check me out on Monday.  So I went in to the office on Monday morning.  It was the first time I saw a doctor at the practice and she was very nice.  At my appointment, she ran a bunch of tests, said things looked ok but they would contact me with results.

So feeling a little less worried, I picked up some Chick-fil-a for lunch and went home to write down our grocery list.  I then headed out to get a pedicure and my eye brows waxed.  It was while I was getting my brows waxed that I saw I had a missed call and voicemail from the OB.  I sat in the parking lot to listen to the message.  The nurse called back and told me one of the tests came back positive and that indicated I was at a high risk of for pre-term labor.  I was told that I needed to go to Labor & Delivery immediately for monitoring.  She said that the doctor on call had my information and they were ready for me.  As soon as I hung up I burst into tears and called Jesse, nearly hysterical.  I told him to meet me at the hospital.  I then called my mother and she basically demanded that she take me to the hospital and that I didn't need to drive myself.

After check in, they set me up on a bunch of machines (a contraction monitor and fetal heart monitor) and an IV.  The contraction monitor showed me having consistent contractions only several minutes apart or so.  I hadn't even been feeling these!  Once I saw the contractions, I realized that I was feeling them, I just hadn't known.  Eventually, they decided that just the iv wasn't working, I got three shots of turbertiline (not sure how to spell it) and they admitted me for the night.  The plus was that I was moved to a more comfortable room.

I woke up in the middle of the night to a shot in my butt and other stuff being hooked up.  The shot was a steroid shot for his lungs and the other stuff was magnesium sulfate.  The magnesium made me crazy. I couldn't wear my glasses, I had a killer headache, and I couldn't focus on anything even without my glasses.  I could only look at people with one eye barely open.  Jesse had to help me walk to the bathroom every time I needed to go, and learned very quickly how to unhook me from everything, and then hook me back up.  The doctor had come in the morning and said they were going to see if they could stop the contractions, but that I would probably be put on bedrest for at least two weeks.

Over the next night I got my next steroid shot.  I woke up to the news that I would get off the magnesium (yay!) but that bed rest was a definite.  The question was where - home or at the hospital.  They had me take another medicine, procardio.  That seemed to help, but by the end of the day, it was clear that wasn't working, so they gave me three more shots of turbertaline.  Well, Logan takes after me and has a mind of his own.  He was ready to be out.  My water broke around 2:00 am, Jesse and my mom came immediately, and by 8:00am I had regular contractions and was 2cm dilated.  He was here by 11:43am, yelling and flailing his arms as the NICU nurses and doctors started to take care of him.  He and Jesse headed up to the NICU and I hung out recovering.

The NICU doctor came down and met with us after checking over Logan and told us that he was doing well considering he was 32 weeks 1 day.  He told us to expect him to stay in NICU for 6-8 weeks, pretty much until he would be full term.  This began our journey through the NICU.  We will keep everyone up-to-date with his progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment