Saturday, February 2, 2013

Logan Day 10

Today was a very busy day because I had my first baby shower!  This one was given by my cousins, and they did such a great job.  It was wonderful to have my family and close friends around.  And very strange having a baby shower AFTER the baby had already come.  Leave it to Logan and me to do things backwards.  :)  We also celebrated my birthday with Mom & Greg, so in between both events Jesse and I ran up to the NICU to spend some time with Mr. Logan.

He had some big steps today.  He's now up to 4lbs 5oz and taking his food very well.  Tonight they are upping him to the full amount he needs (at least I think that is tonight, not last night).  He also had his flow removed.  We were there when they took it out & I got to hold his hand as they were gently taking off the tape to remove this tube.  Little man had to have the tape on because he tried to take it off on his own earlier in the week.  It was kind of sad to see his fussing as they removed the tape, he obviously didn't like it.  But, he didn't dissolve into all out wails, so it must not have been too bad.  Now his face is red from where it had been.  With that and the PICC line removed he now has two less tubes coming out of him.

Here's a picture of him after they took his tubing off:



We also practiced breast feeding.  We didn't expect much, since it's his first time.  The nurses and doctors had also told us that preemies have problems coordinating the "suck, swallow, breathe" technique, so this will probably take some practice.  I think he got a little bit, and after about 7-8 minutes, he and I just snuggled together.  Jesse read him Cat in the Hat and I almost fell asleep.  That's the thing, people tell us to catch up on our sleep now before he comes home.  Well, that's easier said than done!  I still have to pump every 3 hours (or at least 8 times a day), so no more 9-10 hour stretches of sleep for me (I know, I LOVE sleep and spoiled myself on the weekends and breaks).  Jesse spends his days going to work, then straight to the hospital, then home - usually around 8:00.  Then we have to get things done around here before going to bed.  Because of that, I let him sleep in today, even though we had things we wanted to do in the morning.

But back to Logan.  Another bit of good news is that right before we were leaving, one of the nurses told Logan's nurse to prepare him to move to the 7th floor!  That is the floor where the preemies go to just grow and sleep.  It's a pretty big step for him.  We'll find out tomorrow whether or not he was moved.  Now we just need to find out when they anticipate him moving out of his spaceship.  Whenever that is is when we will need to bring clothes for him.  Which means I should probably do his laundry soon...

Logan really needs to work on eating now - learning to breast feed and take the bottle.  Once he masters that, he should be ready to come home.  So I guess Jesse and I need to finish getting his room ready.  Once that's done I'll post pictures.  We've already received some cute things in the mail for him from Etsy.  Pretty much his room will be Star Wars & Safari Animals, with a little UGA thrown in as well...  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment