Saturday, February 2, 2013

Logan Day 9

Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday - by the time we were home for the night, it was all I could do to stay awake for my pumping sessions.  But here's how our little man was doing as of yesterday:

Logan's bilirubin levels had gone down, so no lights!  Also, he was able to have his PICC line removed - a huge step for him.  He is only getting my milk now (with some added calories and protein) and he is handling it pretty well.  Because of this, we get to try nutritive feedings.  We're going to try one today when we go up.  For these, we need to get there a little before his feeding times (2:00, 5:00, 8:00 & 11:00) and then see what he takes.  If he isn't really getting much (which we don't expect him to at first) then they will give him his milk through his feeding tube.  When I meet with the lactation consultant and do this, they will weigh him before feeding, weigh him after a certain amount of time he's been feeding (to see if he's getting anything), and then I think do it one more time.  The nurse also mentioned that they will probably start bottle feeding when he's 34 weeks - so on Wednesday.  So these are some big steps for the lille guy!  We're excited about it because it means he's even closer to coming home.  He even gained a little more weight - he's now 4lbs 4oz.  He's still on the flow, but they expect to remove that pretty soon.  From what I remember, he hadn't had any apnea episodes recently either, so I hope he keeps that up.

But, the exciting thing for him is that he got to meet his Aunt Mary & Great-Grandmother!  My sister and Grandmother came into town Thursday for my baby shower today & to spend some good time with my mom.  Well, little did they know when they planned this that they would also get to meet Logan!  We went up to the NICU around 2:00 (actually, a little after 2:00) and spent about 30 minutes talking to Logan.  The nurse had positioned him so that he would be curled up on his tummy with his feet tucked under him and his little butt sticking up.  Well, this little guy doesn't like to be restricted!  We watched as he slowly but surely kicked and moved around until he was diagonal on his little bed with his feet hanging off.  He also kept smooshing his head into the bed-thing that goes around him.  That made me nervous so I kept gently moving his head back.  For being so little and early, it surprises us how well he can move his head around and even lift it a little!

Jesse and I went back to see Logan after Jesse got off work.  We got there a little after 5:00, so we missed the diaper change.  We had also just missed them taking out his PICC line.  I think he was happy to have another cord removed from him.  We sure are!  This time we got to hold him.  I did skin-to-skin and Jesse read to him Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss.  That really is a tongue twister!  Then Jesse got to hold him.  I went into the lactation room to pump and give Jesse and Logan some Daddy/Son time since Jesse didn't get to hold him at all yesterday.  Once I was done, we had to leave our guy.  My mom was taking us out for my birthday, so we had to hurry to The Melting Pot and meet my mom, sister & grandmother.  We had a lovely dinner.  I mean, honestly, fondue is always good to me!

Today I have my first baby shower, so I'm excited about that.  Then we're going to drive over to see Logan.  Here's a few pictures from yesterday:






No comments:

Post a Comment