Saturday, February 9, 2013

Logan Day 17

Little Man is still rockin' it!  Today he is up to 5lbs 1oz.  He's been gaining so well that they are going to decrease the amount of calories they add to his milk.  He took his 2nd bottle pretty well - 20cc of the 39cc needed.  Fingers crossed he is able to take 2 bottles by end of day tomorrow and they increase him to 3.

Jesse and I headed up this morning to go visit Logan.  I had a lactation consultation at 11:00 and we needed to be there around 10:45.  We were running a little behind and were rushing out the door (not to mention really tired, too).  Well, we got to the hospital and Jesse was going to drop me off so I could go on up while he parked.  I turned to grab the bag we use to transport my pump parts and realized we had left it at home!  Oops...  But I had to have it.  I had to pump after nursing.  So poor Jesse turned around and went home and back to get the parts.

So I went upstairs and changed Logan's diaper and we prepared for nursing.  I finally have my own nursing pillow - a My Breastfriend (Thanks Tricia & Craig!) - so I got that ready while Logan was weighed.  Then, he settled in my arms and began to nurse.  After about 15 minutes, the lactation consultant weighed him again.  He got about 8cc's of milk - way to go Logan!  She said he probably won't really pick up on nursing until around 36 weeks.  She said that's usually around when everything clicks for them, so right now we'll really just be doing practice, and then finish either with his feeding tube or a bottle.  Well, after the 15 minutes was up, I just snuggled Logan until Jesse returned - so I got to hold him for almost an hour!  Jesse got back to the hospital around noon.  We had an Infant CPR class at 12:30, so I had to hurry up and pump so we could get to the class.  Jesse held Logan while I pumped, and then we put him back and went down one floor to the class.

It turned out that Jesse and I were the only ones signed up for the class, so it was basically a private Infant CPR.  Northside requires parents of NICU babies to take the class before their babies go home, so we decided to go on and take it now.  The class was 2 hours & went over Infant CPR, Infant Heimlich, SIDS & The Period of PURPLE Crying.  These were all great things to learn about, but I couldn't help but feel a little paranoid - I started worrying about situations to use CPR or the Heimlich.  But we are all educated now and hopefully could pull through in a crisis.  I think I would put more faith in Jesse than in me.  I can be the one who calls 911 while he performs the procedures...

Once the class was over, we ate lunch.  I was starving!  Of course, the only place open was McDonald's, so that's where we ate.  Then we headed back upstairs to see our main man and so I could pump again.  Jesse read Dr. Seuss's ABC Book while I pumped.  Then we said good bye to our little guy.  We went to Babies R Us and bought Logan's carseat and pack n play.  This weekend was the end of a 15% off sale - and we had a bunch of giftcards that we decided to use.  Plus, hopefully Logan will need to do his carseat test soon, so we want to be prepared.  After that it was homeward bound.  We were pretty worn out from our day - it was a lot for us.

Jesse has spent the rest of the day working to put the Star Wars room back together.  I went out to dinner with my mom, then came home and ordered a new dryer from Lowe's.  The only problem is that it's not scheduled to be here for two weeks!  I don't know if it had a delivery date when I bought it, but that's too long!  Sure, we can hang some clothes up, but we don't really have anywhere to do that, except on our shower curtain rod.  I think I'm going to call their main customer line tomorrow and see if there's anything they can do to move up the date.  I'm definitely going to play the just-had-a-baby card. I have craploads of laundry that needs to be done!  Plus, we're constantly bringing home Logan's things from the hospital (he pees out of his diaper...  His little manly parts need to be aiming down when he gets his diaper changed, not up.  Oops...).  Well, anyways, here are some new pics of our fast-growing little guy.  Enjoy!  We certainly do.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment